Whereas, the Mississippi Board of Pharmacy is charged with the protection of the public health as it relates to patient safety, patient health, patient access, and patient services, and;
Whereas, severe weather-related events can cause the displacement of numerous citizens of the State of Mississippi and other nearby States; and
Whereas, in the best interest of protecting the public health and to facilitate access by the public to drugs that are vital and necessary to maintaining each individual’s health, now therefore;
Be it resolved, in the event that a pharmacist receives a request for a prescription refill and the pharmacist is unable to obtain refill authorization from the prescriber, the pharmacist may dispense a one-time emergency refill of the prescribed NON-CONTROLLED medication, provided that;
- The prescription is not for a medicinal drug listed as a Scheduled Control Substance;
- The medication is essential to the maintenance of life or to the continuation of therapy;
- The pharmacist must use his or her professional judgment, the interruption of therapy might reasonably produce undesirable health consequences or may cause physical or mental discomfort;
- The pharmacist properly records the dispensing; and
- The dispensing pharmacist notifies the prescriber of the emergency dispensing with a reasonable time after the one-time emergency refill dispensing.
This resolution shall be effective during any State of Emergency declared by the Governor of the State of Mississippi or upon the authorization of the President of the Board due to a state of emergency in a nearby State.