Today Governor Phil Bryant announced an emergency declaration in preparation for the possible landfall of Tropical Storm Nate. As a preemptive measure, the Mississippi Board of Pharmacy is announcing that:
- As the result of this impending storm and;
- In the event a pharmacist receives a request for a prescription refill and the pharmacist is unable to obtain refill authorization from the prescriber, the pharmacist may dispense a one-time, 30 day supply, emergency refill of the prescribed NON-CONTROLLED medication, provided that;
- The prescription is not for a medicinal drug listed as a Scheduled Controlled Substance;
- The medication is essential to the maintenance of life or to the continuation of therapy;
- The pharmacist must use his or her professional judgement, the interruption of therapy might reasonably produce undesirable health consequences or may cause physical or mental discomfort;
- The pharmacist properly records the dispensing; and
- The dispensing pharmacist notifies the prescriber of the emergency dispensing within a reasonable time after the one-time emergency refill dispensing.